View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

This guy obviously does not know anything about chemistry, and is just trying to scare people. I don't know why, maybe he just reacts this way to anything new, but he is wrong. Now I do not claim to know anything about chemistry either, which is why I asked my DH, who knows a great deal on the subject.

First of all, this nonsense about Splenda being chlorinated is simply not true; chlorinating something means exposing it to chlorine gas, which is not the same thing as containing molecules of chlorine. For example, salt, otherwise known as sodium chloride, contains molecules of sodium and chlorine. This does not mean that salt is chlorinated, just that it contains molecules of chlorine. And salt not just something we like; our bodies require it. On this WOE, even if you don't put salt on your food, you get it from most sources of protein.

According to the description at www.caloriecontrol.org/sucralos.html, Splenda is made from sugar; "three atoms of chlorine are used to replace three hydroxyl groups" (a.k.a. hydrogen/oxygen). This change is what makes the carbohydrates in the sugar go through our bodies without being absorbed.

So the fact that Splenda contains chlorine molecules does not make it toxic any more than salt is toxic. Do not let people like this, who are either crazy or just misinformed, scare you away from the best sweetener on the planet.

HTH

Karla