Thread: yogurt
View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think you're coming on a little strong here Arie....

Many of us eat yogourt regularily (and I'm talking PLAIN, unsweetened yogourt). Yes, the label says 11 g of carbs. However, the lactose in the whole milk is converted into lactic acid - the reason why yogourt tastes tart. LadyBelle can give you a much better explanation than I can

" However, in GO-Diet, Dr. Golberg and Dr. O'Mara explain that in actuality, most of the lactose (milk sugar) in the milk is converted into lactic acid by the bacteria. That is what gives these foods thier sour taste. The lables say "12 grams carbohydrate" largely, they say, because carbohydrate count is determined by "difference." What this means is that the calorie count is determined first. Then the protien and fat fractions are measured, and the number of calories they contribute is calculated. Any calories left over are assumed to come from the carbohydrate."

Besides, even if you ate just half a cup of yogourt a day (6.5 g carbs according to your calculations, Arie) you could just subtract these 6.5 g from your 20 (on induction!!). Yogourt is a healthy whole food and there is plenty of room for it on this WOE- in moderation just like sugar alcohols and Splenda. That's what makes Atkins a WOE and not a DIET!