View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Hi Pam

From personal experience I'd say whoever said that was talking nonsense!

I gave up around two years ago (yes, well enough that I've actually long since lost count of how long! ) using patches having been smoking for 15 years before that. I honestly couldn't have done it without them.

I used the three stage patches and, after the inevitable initial withdrawal symptoms, found it a pretty much painless experience. Lots of exercise and even more water than Atkins suggests really helped too...

Just like Atkins (and think how many articles you've seen telling you that doesn't work!), I took it all in my own sweet time, and only went down a step when I felt absolutely ready. For the in-between steps, I would alternate days on the higher level patch and the next one down to make it a smoother transition. By the time I came off the patches, I was craving free.

Also, I put what cigarettes I had left (typical; I'd just bought a 100 box! ) in a big paper envelope, selotaped it shut, and wrote all over the envelope all the reasons I didn't want to open it! From cost, to health, to family and friends, to my cat's lungs, to the environment... you name it, I wrote it on there! That way I had cigarettes to hand and didn't have that panic feeling of being without...

...but I also had a guilt trip even my mother would've been proud of to stop me from having one!

Very best of luck with it! I can hand on heart say it was worth the initial suffering... but also remember to be kind to yourself. I gave myself lots of mini milestone treats along the way to tell my body and brain it was worth it...

Above all, remember your tagline, and remember its true. Believe you can do this. Believe you want to do it. Believe its the right time. More than anything... believe in your self.