View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 12:08

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I have a 17 yr old daughter and wish I had understood lc when she was much younger. 14 yr olds are a tough lot! The "Mom doesn't know anything" attitude will get better - it's just a phase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugvv
I have tried to stick to l/c before but the weekends trip me up.

I would suggest you delve into why they trip you up. If it's making the pancakes and you are tempted to eat them, maybe you should eat your breakfast before making the kids theirs. Reminding yourself why you are doing this and taking advantage of your eating times may help in this area.

Quote:
I On the weekends my 14 year old expects me to cook him breakfast.

You've set that expectation, right? It takes 21-28 days to make or break a habit. I would suggest you really think about whether or not you want to continue making breakfast on the weekends, and then set the expectation accordingly. I would not recommend you make the distinction that you will only cook a lc breakfast because that may alienate your son to lc being good for him.

Quote:
He doesn't like eggs and bacon much. He wants pancakes, waffles or donuts...

It seems to me he is wanting sweet breakfasts. In general, sweet breakfasts don't have to be made from grains (baked goods). My daughter eats yogurt for breakfast quite a bit. You might try the mock danish in the recipe forum. Maybe think "out of the box" for some other breakfast ideas. As a kid, I used to eat hamburgers for breakfast sometimes.

Quote:
...and he makes me feel like a horrible person for not wanting that junk in the house.

No, you are making yourself feel horrible. You might want to analyse this a bit. Why do you feel guilty because you want healthy foods? Do you think that you are denying them something by not having junk food around? Or are you helping them to a healthier lifestyle? In 5 years, he'll thank you for it!

Quote:
He is really overweight (maybe 30 lbs) and could benefit by this, but he is not interested. I know he's embarrased by his weight. He is failing P.E. because he won't change clothes in front of the other kids. He also always wears a jacket or vest even when it's hot. But when I try to casually bring up the topic of weight loss, he shuts me out.

My daughter was the exactly same way. In 7th grade she wore her jacket everyday, all day at school. I couldn't get through to her. She did stop during the summer, so this will pass. Also, she would change for gym in the bathroom stalls.

Quote:
I'm a single mom, so I can't afford to buy all this extra junk food for him. And I really don't want it in the house. How can I convince him to eat healthier and help both us us lose weight?

I am a single parent too and I know how hard it is to be both the "good" guy and the "bad" guy. When my daughter was that age, it seemed like I was always the bad guy. I think about age 15-16 she started coming back around and I was the good guy once in awhile.

My daughter is sitting here while I type this and is telling me that my weight loss is what has motivated her to start this WOE. She and I both agree that the best thing is to not discuss his weight, but to just continue on your path to losing weight. Also, keep learning to cook healthy lc meals so that when he is at home eating, he'll at least get the right foods there. Hopefully, he will begin to grow out of the weight as he gets taller.

My daughter also wants me to have you tell him that middle schoolers are are "little $***heads". [Those are her words, not mine, LOL]. By the time he starts high school, this type of behavior from the other kids should stop.

Hope this will help. Good luck.