View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 19:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Rosebud- I really don't like that particular calculator. It lists me at being 14.5% body fat. There is no way that is true, and I have the pooch to prove it I'm not sure why that one reads me at being so low. Possibly because I am a smallish medium frame so my wrist measurement is small? Or that I carry alot of my weight around my waist and my thighs are really toning down? (darn kids)

I like the one at www.zoneperfect.com click on the resources link. Protien Power also has a good formula in the back of the book.

BF% is much more accurate then BMI. With BMI they basicaly take your height and age, then announce you should weigh so much. Your body fat % is the actual amount of fat you have compaired to how many pounds of lean mass (muscle, bone, organs).

Most people who have high lean weights due to exercising, being heavy for years (it takes muscle to tote that weight around) or other reasons, often read as extreamly obese on the BMI tables, even though they have very little body fat. Unfortunetly to many go by those BMI tables and don't relize they have to lose muscle and bone density to get down to what is labled "healthy"