View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Glad I found this thread. My doctor prescribed Effexor this morning, but didn't say if it would slow my loss down (it's already at a snail's pace). She knows I am trying to lose weight... in fact, she's the one who recommended lo-carbing to me. I've had great success with Zoloft, but my doctor wanted me to try Effexor because it's the one she typically prescribes to patients with fibromylagia.

I have been on many different anti-depressants and none of them caused a great deal of gain or loss. You should keep in mind that while in a depressive episode, you can gain or lose weight (not every episode is the same... I've experienced both). Antidepressants usually help stabilize the gain/loss symptom and it could very well be that the medication or dosage are not for you.

However, I do recall, when I first began taking Prozac my appetite decreased significantly and my body dysmorphia (along with food-releated OCDs) just vanished. Prozac and similar antidepressants are now being used to treat OCDs... hmmm. I believe I didn't crave carbs on medication because my serotonin levels were stabilized. Basically, my overindulgence in carbs was a way for me to self-medicate my depression (along with drinking, sex-which also releases the same hormones that carbs do).

Asthma medications usually contain steriods which are notorious for weight gain... it's great, Wa'il, that you can at least offset the gains with lo-carbing.

Trisha... a five pound loss is a good, solid loss... congratulations! I know it can be discouraging to not lose as quickly as some, but keep your head up and ask your doctor about Effexor.