View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default interesting show

Last night I was watching a show on PBS regarding fat children and different programs to try to help them and their families. One program was being conducted at LSU (I think it was LSU). Besides exercise, etc, they started kids on a new diet that began with MEAT AND GREEN VEGETABLES ONLY! Hmmm - what does that sound like? After a few weeks, they began to add other veggies and fruit. Very interesting! The little girl being interviewed even said that she couldn't eat corn, potatoes, cereal, dairy, etc. But - at no time did they actually say the words "low carb".
It was interesting seeing the little girl and her mother going grocery shopping and learning to read the labels noting portion size and grams of sugar.
One astounding bit of info from the show was that many kids get as much as 3000 calories a day from soda!
The state of Arkansas has decided to send home letters from school to inform parents when their children are fat. Well, duh! Do you think the kids and their families don't know it? Too bad they can't actually teach nutrition in school. That would stir up more controversy (low carb, low fat, high carb, blah, blah, blah) than religion in schools. And, insterad of having horrid PE classes where they torture kids with rope climbing, softball (I couldn't pitch, catch, or hit the ball), or other things that make kids miserable, it would be nice if they just took a nice brisk walk for the class period, or have aerobic dancing (to music kids like). They need to learn that exercise can be fun and doesn't have to be a competitive sport.
I find it amusing (or pathetic) that schools will push competition in physical activities (that point out that some of us are total klutzes) but think that academic competition (that points out that some people are dummies) is unfair.
Sponsored Links