#4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-01, 10:26
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb ... but seriously folks ...

It's worth noting that this is a US study, where patients pay out-of-pocket (or private insurance) for health care, doctor visits, etc. Thus, the financial incentive becomes more personal, and immediate.

The details given in this report are rather sketchy. I was curious if there was a difference among age groups. The study included 4,700 Type 2 diabetics, 18 yrs and older. It's highly unlikely that 18 yr olds would have such advanced disease that they'd be experiencing severe complications like stroke, heart disease and vascular (foot) ulcers. So, does this mean only the older, more advanced patients kept their blood sugar lower?

I think the gist of this report is more about patient motivation. Keep your blood sugar lower and stable, have more money in your pocket. It's kinda like smoking and drunk driving, for those who disregard the health warnings (they mean everyone else, not me) - money talks.

Another detail not indicated in the study is HOW they reduced blood sugar - medication, diet, exercise, etc..... I'm curious to know how maintaining a lowered, stable blood sugar following a low-carbohydrate diet would influence results. We know of other studies showing that a lowcarb diet reduces blood cholesterol and risk of heart disease - it's possible that the higher death rates were associated with the standard calorie-reduced, HIGH carb diabetic diet, and oral medication. Although these lower blood sugar, they may have ultimately contributed to the complications which were the cause of death.

[Edited by doreen T on 11-01-01 at 15:07]