View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 17:45

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

You've proven to yourself and to your docs that lowcarbing is really working for you. The fact that your periods came back and you've lost weight just shows that you got your insulin under control and that in turn has regulated your hormones. Most definitely keep it up!

As far as the recommendation for sugarbusters go, I'd skip it. The reason lcing works is because it lowers your insulin levels, but the exact diet plan you use isn't important. It sounds like your current plan is suiting you just fine and I see no reason to switch.

As far as the Yasmin goes, I personally would not use it. Hormonal birth control pills actually work AGAINST your body and all the good things lcing does. A much better alternative is to take metformin/Glucophage. It sounds to me that you're definitely insulin resistant and the metformin will really help regulate your insulin. LCing is still necessary, but the metformin gives you an added boost and helps your body work like a "normal" person's body. Insulin is the cause of all the abnormally high androgens (like testosterone) that cause the excess facial/body hair and also the thinning of the head hair. Once the insulin is in check, the androgens should lower to normal levels, and the hair problems should lesson.

A note about the hair growth, though:

There are two types of hairs on your body, one type is the really fine, light hairs (found on most skin) and the other is the thick, course hair found in the pubic regions and your head. In the case of high testosterone, some of the fine hairs turn into the course hairs. Once this conversion takes place, it can't revert back to the fine hairs, even once the testosterone levels are normalized. In essense, they've been "ruined" for good. I've got this problem on a lot of places and pretty much the only permanent solution is laser hair removal, but sometimes electrolysis works too.

Our hormones didn't get out of whack in a short period of time and they certainly won't normalize in a short period of time either.

Congratulations on your weight loss, I think you've done wonderful in the last few months. Your doctor should have run some blood tests to check for insulin levels, triglycerides, testosterone, etc and the goal is to get all those levels normal. Keep up the good work, though, and try not to get frustrated because some times it takes a long time (a year or two) before everything really turns back to normal. The weight loss is a good physical reminder the diet is working, but the labs should really prove that it is.

Oh, and one last thing: the mention that the pregnancy really caused things to snowball is such a common story, unfortunately. It seems that in some women, the pregnancy just opens up the floodgates. It's not that you didn't have PCOS before, it's just that the hormonal changes during pregnancy really just brought it all out.