View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 06:13

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi Amy!
I found this information on the Zone plan on our Low Carb Plans Forum. It was posted by deelight....
Like I said before, I do not know much about the Zone or Protein Power but this looks like a good summary of the Zone. Hope it helps!
Linda

The Zone Summary
1. Plan's name: The Zone
2. Date: Enter the Zone, published in 1996, has since written Master The Zone, The Soy Zone, A Week in the Zone…PLUS…. Zone Blocks, Anti-Aging Zone, Top 100 Zone Foods, Zone Recipes.
3. Basic Philosophy/Strategy: 40/30/30
4. By the numbers: The only change you make is to add more fat when you are in maintenance to prevent you from continual loss. Otherwise, you eat the same from the beginning….i.e. there is no induction phase.
5. Method: Block method. 1 carb block = 9g carbohydrates, 1 protein block = 7g protein (absolutely no fat), 1 fat block = 3g fat …… however, since most meats (even lean cuts) tend to have some fat "hanging around", he recommends assuming that your protein source already has 1.5g fat. Therefore 1 fat block = 1.5g fat.
6. Typical menu: An average meal for a woman with average activity levels is a 3 block meal. You would have 3 carb blocks (e.g. 1c green beans [1block] and 1 apple [2blocks), 3 protein blocks (e.g. 3oz. of chicken), and 3 fat blocks (e.g. cook your chicken in 1tsp. of olive oil [3blocks]).
7. Emphasis on: Insulin Control
8. Unique Features: Unlike Atkins or PP (for example) the Zone wants you to concentrate on always eating a ratio of 40% carbs, 30% protein