View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 11:42
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm not sure why you are discouraged -- you seem to be losing quite rapidly.

As of this morning, I have lost 94 pounds in almost exactly 14 months. However, my weight loss has not been even. It was faster at the beginning, slowed down dramatically last spring and summer when it took me four months to lose ten pounds, and seems to be speeding up again (I have lost five pounds in the last three weeks). I think that the key to losing a lot of weight is patience. You won't show losses every week or possibly even every month, but over time the losses add up. I tend to lose slowly -- one pound at a time rather than whooshes.

I never followed induction; it was too strict for me. I started out by cutting out all white flour, white rice, and sugar, and then slowly cut back on the whole grains as well -- whole wheat flour, brown rice, etc. However, I never totally cut out fruit (I eat one or two servings a day of berries and melon) and I eat cottage cheese almost every day for breakfast (also not an induction food). I also eat nuts. I occasionally (perhaps once a month) eat something slightly higher in carbs, such as a sweet potato, but I never eat white potatoes or any refined carbohydrates. I think that most days I am around 30 grams of carbs -- ongoing weight loss levels. For me this is a way of eating, not a diet. Induction would be too much like a diet to me. I couldn't stick to a diet this long. I need to build in some flexibility in what I am eating so that I can eat this way for the rest of my life. Also, because of my job, I travel a lot and I eat in restaurants a lot. In order to do that successfully, I can't obsess about every carb and about whether every food is allowed on induction.

I should add to this that I exercise for an hour a day, five days a week, and I have gradually upped the intensity of my exercise as I have lost weight and gotten in better shape. I alternate between walking/hiking, lap swimming, and using the treadmill.