View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 01:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

"At the end of the day weight loss is all about having a calorie deficit......calories in - calories burned = calories deficit ie weightloss. "

That's the old way of thinking, and if your on a low fat diet that is true. However while you are on a low carb diet, your insulin levels are low enough that you will not store the extra fat you take in at fat. It will simply pass out the body as waste. One of the reasons many have lose bm's while LCing.

It's not how many calories you are taking in. It's more about how your body is treating those calories.
Fat has 9 calories per gram, but 4 of those calories are used just to process that one gram of fat. So there are really only 5 calories of effective calories per gram of fat while you are LCing.
That is why when LCing you can ingest much more calories than you can when on a low fat diet without gaining weight. Of course your not going to lose much if your taking in a ton either.

Some people never have to count calories and lose all the time. Most of us at some point will stall out or weight loss will slow way down and that when you may want to keep closer count of them.

For myself I eat up to 3000 calories 4 days a week and for the other 3 days I eat between 1400-1600 calories. And during those 3 days I have my weight loss for the week. I average 3 pounds per week of weight loss.

A good book to better explain all this is the Protein Power book.