Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 20:57

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
Adam,
My birthday is also Sept.27! (I'll be 49, so not too far off from your Mom). It does sound like she is in excellent shape, especially if the doctor did all those blood tests and everything was fine.
As we all seem to agree, giving her an "advice" book for her birthday probably isn't ideal. But down the road, an issue that may make an impression on her is osteoporosis. Women our age are scared of losing bone mass and ending up hunched over. Women who have always had a low body weight are especially susceptible to this! So maybe she would be motivated to eat more calcium and protein and take vitamins if she knew more about this issue. I'll see if I can find out anything useful for you.
One thing I have found, when I'm around relatives who tend to eat lots of sugar and carby treats: when I make a nutritious dinner such as roast chicken, or meatloaf, or chile, they are willing to eat it as long as they don't perceive it as high in fat.

Diane

P.S. I just noticed that your birthday is August 6th, which is my husband's b-day also....spooky.

Spooky indeed Thanks for the advice. I've decided against giving her the book. Also, after some subtle reasoning tonight (just talking like normal) i'm more convinced than ever that I am trying to fight a battle here I can't win. Maybe I need to face the fact that she is going to eat like she does for the rest of her life. And even though her eating method isn't ideal, it works for her (she is in better shape than any other 50+ year old I know... except for suzane somers ) I still want to try and educate her on the subjects though. I think I will definately see about maybe getting her the personal training session. I think it would be a great idea, especially since she has said to me that she basically doesn't know if she is working out correctly at her gym at work.

I appreciate all the advice though to everyone in this thread, thanks! It is also nice to know that i'm not the only one with a loved one who eats like crap.... I guess there is 1 (or more) in every family