View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%

I hope at least one of you took a moment to cc: your superb comments to the audience who needs to read it the most (the editors of the paper that slipped up and let it go to print) rather than just preach to the choir! (smile).
These people really need to be alerted (not just the article's befuddled author, but her editor as well, to keep editor Steve Purcell from assuming this is accurate reporting).

To that effect, here's the address where one can email them, according to the contact section of the article's website - email address is:

mailbox~mirror.co.uk

I also copied the site editor at:

steve.purcell~mirror.co.uk

Here's what I wrote them (and those of you possibly a tad intimidated about writing editors, etc. just keep in mind, we don't need to compose Shakespeare, just simple objections that we disagree with what they're writing - such dissenting letters, if even a fraction of us cc: the editors/authors, WILL register with them - but not if you deny them your objections!).

To: mirror.co.uk
Subj: Lesley Mair got the story wrong

re: article
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnew...-name_page.html
ATKINS DIET WOMEN IN NEW CANCER RISK
She writes that a diet with veggies and fruit lowers cancer of the womb. So far, so good. But then she misstates that the Atkins Diet therefore falls into the category of diets not partaking in much veggies/fruit.
Didn't Lesley bother to at least peek at the book explaining the diet? If she did, she'd have realized that not only are vegetables allowed, but much more, they're REQUIRED. Fruits are involved, too.
As far as Lesley then making the sweeping claim that the Atkins Diet "is said" to cause a host of diseases, she needs to cite references to who said such - and far more preferably, to cite peer-reviewed studies, because I dispute that such studies exist and challenge her to provide references. Parroting mere undocumented heresay is poor journalism indeed.
Please urge your reporter to do better homework before going to print, as well as whomever the editor who similarly was asleep at the wheel in not correcting these easy-to-verify oversights.
Concerned,

[xxxx]