View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:38

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Wow randisue! Good information.

I take 5-htp and have been for awhile. I take 50mg in the morning and in the evening most weeks. The week before and first day or two of TOM I also take a 50 mg dose in the afternoon. I suffer from depression and it really helps. It also helps me control my appetite and relatioship with food. Some people need 100 mg two to three times a day. Just a like any medicine, herbal or otherwise, each individual is different.

The reason you need to take the B vitamins is to help your liver expel toxins caused by your body. If you take a multi vitamin, you are fine. I take 5-htp on an empty stomach. I think drugstore.com has the best prices. I also occassionally, as needed take Sam E for a week to a month at a time if my mood is slumping with just the 5 htp.

The key difference between taking 5 htp and a pharmacuetical anti-depressent are the side effects. Many anti depressents cause weight gain which does not occur with the 5htp which actually promotes weight loss proven in several studies easily accessable on the net. Some of the pharms that don't cause weight gain (i.e. effexor) have side effects that include seizures which did not make me comfortable at all.

I almost always take 5htp on an empty stomach and give it 15 minutes to 30 minutes before eating anything. It really helps reduce cravings and binges.

Not quite as technical as randisue's response, but I hope it has been helpful.

Good luck!