View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Jill,

Ask away; it's fun to find someone else interested in making chocolate!

1) Yes, those are the three main ingredients; I usually use at least 4 ounces of cocoa butter and 2 of chocolate because I figure I might as well make a bunch while I'm at it. But for your first time it makes sense to use less, since you are experimenting.

2) Yes, I do all the steps. It does sound a little confusing, but they just mean that you need to bring the mixture back up to 90 degrees before using it for anything.

3) At step 4 I add the cocoa butter, 2/3 of the chocolate, the sweetener, and the flavoring, if I use one. In step 5, once the mixture reaches 110 degrees I add the rest of the chocolate to help it cool to 85 degrees faster.

4)You pour the chocolate into the molds as soon as it comes back up to 90 degrees. The molds look thin, but they are meant to take the heat of the chocolate. If you wait until it is room temperature, the chocolate will solidify and your double boiler becomes one big mold!

About the flavorings: I use the LorAnn candy flavorings, which I'm sure they have at that store where you bought the molds and stuff. You just have to experiment with those, adding a little at a time. I have also used the Boyajian orange oil to make orange flavored chocolate, about which my husband is STILL talking (so I guess I should make it again)! I usually add some at the beginning, then taste when the mixture cools to 85 and add more before warming it up to 90. But for your first try you might just skip the flavorings and stick to the plain chocolate, which is VERY good all by itself.

Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions.

Karla