#23   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay3osu
And what would you suggest as far as the % break down? what about 70% fat , 25 pro and 5 carb.
or do you think i would be better off with 75% fat, 20 pro and 5 carb.
65-70% is what the Atkins Centre recommends, Kay, for Induction. You may feel better with more because you're so hungry.

So, if mayo and avocados are out then that leaves more butter and olive oil I would also suggest when you do choose meats pick the fattier cuts (like prime rib or medium ground beef). Have you ever had hollandaise? It goes great on broccoli, meats - just about anything and it's all butter, lemon juice and an egg yolks.

Unless you're very sensitive or diabetic the excess protein should not be negatively impacting your blood sugar - because carbs are limited, so is insulin, and converting protein into glucose happens under the control of other hormones, but with insulin kept in check (therefore no fat storing can happen and blood sugar is kept stable).

That being said, your body doesn't like using protein for energy - and it wont unless it absoutely has to, so it doesn't help with feeling full as much as fat does.

BTW, you can usually find lots of help at the Atkins website. I typed in "sample menu" and this popped up:

Sample Menus for the Four Phases of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™

How are you feeling today?

Nat