View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 18:20

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

I wish I could give you an accurate number on the carb count for the yogurt, but I have to guess.

Being that many people use the instant dry milk method (and that's low fat ... skim!) and determine 4 carbs per cup, I think I can safely estimate about 2.5 carbs per cup for my version, mixing milk and cream.

I assume this because the carb count for milk goes down when the fat content goes up.

The carb count might even be lower with my use of cream, but I like to err on the side of caution.

Creme Fraiche:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. buttermilk

Mix well in a glass jar and set aside for 24 hours covered only in a paper towel or very light dish towel to keep dust from entering it. After 24 hours, put on a lid and refrigerate.

What you get here is a thick cream for thickening sauces, or you may sweeten it and use it as a dessert topping. Personally, I add spices/herbs/garlic/onion or one of a variety of peppers to creme fraiche and use it as a marinade, then bake or broil the meat and cook the marinade and use it as a sauce for spinach, broccoli or cauliflower. Even green beens and asparagus.

The carb count on this recipe of creme fraiche is difficult to determine also because of the active culture in the buttermilk eating the cream sugar to react. When you start, the carb count is about 9, including the buttermilk, but I'd half that for the finished product.