View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:19

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

Hi Nibby,

Don't quote me.... cause this is coming from the dim recessess of an aging memory.... and even then scientific evidence may have changed since then, but when my son was swimming at national level, there was a lot of credence given to carb loading for the 24 hrs prior to a major event..

Cant remember the science.... but the extra carbs in that time were supposed to do something that slowed the lactic acid build-up, and allowed a longer period of sustained effort before the muscles started hurting..

It did seem to work for my son... and we were told it could only be used occasionally...

Maybe you could effect a compromise.... cause I agree with you about the protein bit too.... and the effects of the blood sugar drop.....

My suggestion... make him large servings of pasta carbonara....
" " Lots of crispy bacon is tossed with hot, buttered noodles, whipped egg and cream, and a generous measure of Parmesan cheese to make this delicious classic. Stir until the heat of the pasta cooks the eggs, then serve with parsley and ground pepper. " and/or
spaghetti bolognaise... with lots of meat, tomatoes and cheese...
seems that would cover both bases...

Good luck to him for this big game..
Good luck to you as you go into this time where he doesn't think you know anything... hes just growing up.... they all do it.... but it will take a couple of years before he realises just how much you have learnt in those years.... lol..

hugz