View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/187.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 25%

To ImHere,

I have monitored my morning body temp, and I did go to the doctor for a thyroid test. When you go, make sure that your TSH level, T3 an dT4 levels are checked. I've researched thyroid problems for the past two years and have found that most doctors still do not understand how the thyroid works. I asked for a thyroid test twice with two different doctors because my body temp is so low, plus a few other mild symptoms. The second doctor this past year just measured my TSH. That number will show a normal range unless your thyroid is failing. She did not take my T3 and T4 levels. The first doctor took the TSH, the T4, then the wrong T3 test. (She took the T3 uptake, not free T3.)

All three readings are necessary for a proper thyroid profile. This is the second doctor that I tried and they both think TSH "says it all." Hope you have better luck with your doctor. I will get my thyroid tested again at my current doctor's office, insist on all three levels, then find a doctor who understands how to interpret the test results.

Plus, which you already know, since I am 45, the metabolism does slow down the closer a woman gets to menopause. I am in the perimenopause stage, so that will also have an effect.

And what all that means is more exercise because I won't go below 1200 calories. (I went roller blading with my son last night. I looked silly, but had lots of fun!) I'm sure the weight plateau will break eventually, then I will start losing again.