View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 19:50

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

alexs0628,
You mentioned your age and metabolic rate. Have you had any tests that show your metabolism isn't what it should be for your age, height, and weight? I have done my basal temp for a few days and todayI made an appointment to have some blood work done and have my thyroid tested.

The reason I ask is because at your height and weight and with your activity level most likely your BMR is much higher than the 1200 calories that you're eating a day (unless you were 100 years old). If you're forcing your body into starvation mode it could account for your inability to lose any more weight beyond a certain point.

Personally, I've had to up my calories. It was very scary for me because I could never lose weight if I ate over 1000 calories. I've gradually increased my cals to 1500-1600 range. I burn a minimum of 2800 cal/day and will most likely up my calories a bit more but I'm taking it slowly. Also, I am 48 years old so I am well aware of the difference in the ability to lose weight as you age!

The jury is still out on the effect of raising my calories. I'm in my 6th week of Atkins and I understand that it is sometimes a period where weight loss can take a break. I have to admit that I'm pretty nervous about having my calories this high.

The first few days after raising my calories I actually lost weight. I plan to give it a couple of weeks (so long as I don't put on too much weight) to see if I can convince my body that it doesn't have to worry about me starving it anymore. With a little persistance I hope that my body learns to accept that I've made a committment to stop abusing it by depriving it of calories and filling it with junk.

I really understand about not being able to lose past a certain point and about the calories.

Best of luck to you!
Lori