View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 04:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi--

You can relax a bit...your numbers, while high, are not horrible. And they are going to get much better before long.

I'm 30+ years your senior, and my before/after numbers (after doing the Atkins program for 3 months and dropping 45 lbs) looked like this:

Trig 348/119

HDL 36/39

LDL 197/119

Ratio: 8.4/5.1

In addition, my BG (Blood Glucose) numbers (which were in the 300+ range) have dropped to around 100...with no medication.

You should expect an initial (and substantial) drop in your triglycerides, but a nasty jump in your LDL numbers in the first few weeks of weight loss. This is normal. Your body uses the bloodstream to clear away the waste products from disintegrating fat cells, and your rate of loss may outstrip your body's ability to filter the excess LDL from your blood. By the time you hit the 6-month point on Atkins, you should have experienced one or two "stalls" that allow your body to "catch up" on those filtration tasks. (Everybody complains about them, but I love what they do for my numbers).

Once you've completed Induction, you may want to consider adding foods like avocados and almonds (or macadamia nuts) to boost your HDL numbers.

You're going to be fine, now that you've recognized the problem and are doing something to deal with it.

Isn't it nice to know you're on the right track?