View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Therefore, you need to ask yourself, in all honesty, which would I rather be? Crippled by the physical side-effects of the Atkins diet in five, ten, twenty years time, for the sake of a few more pounds weight loss in the short-term. Or slim, vibrant and physically fit in future life - the results you can expect from well-balanced and healthy lifestyle changes - the sort that don't restrict fruit and veg for instance.

Define "restrict". You can get an awful lot of antioxidant and flavanoid-rich veggies and fruits for 60 grams of carb per day (maintainance levels of low carb) or less than that even, especially given that those fruits and veggies that are highest in those substances also tend to be the lowest in carbs and GI. As a matter of course, I'd wager that most low carbers eat more servings of fruit and veggies than your average low fat dieter who is spending all their calories on Snackwells, fat-free pretzels, Twizzlers and the like. I've seen what the low fat crowd in my office eats on a regular basis and baby, it's not veggies or even fruit for that matter! Someday, I'd really love to be on a talk show and show people physically how many servings of fruits and veggies you could eat and still stay under 60 grams of carb per day by having it all laid out on a table plate by plate.
I have to wonder what physical side effects he refers to that are going to leave me crippled in the future? Could it be my now normal blood pressure? Hmmm...I've never heard of normal blood pressure crippling someone. Maybe it's my now normal blood sugars? Nah...couldn't be that either or the entire non-diabetic population would be keeling over en masse.
Maybe I'll injure myself because I have so much more energy now than I did on that high carb low fat junk. That's it!!