#10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/150/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress:
Default Canker sores, SLS and other findings

Hi There-
You know, I had seen an article about the sodium laurel sulfate in toothpastes and had thought that perhaps the people who wrote the article had a vested interest in getting us to use their toothpaste without the stuff, so I didn't try it. It may be worth it if you say it works. Since I brush my teeth alongside my 3 year old all the time, and her toothpaste isn't especially foamy, it may be a good move for her comfort too.

In the interim, I have also found a so-so remedy to my sores. There is a product called Peridex that is prescribed by dentists for gingivitis (gum disease). Anyway, my dentist says that she stumbled on it quite by accident that patients using Peridex reported shorter durations of canker sore outbreaks or total suppression of the outbreaks. My dentist cautioned that the stuff doesn't seem to work that well if you don't start using it immediately once you start getting that itchy tingling sensation in your mouth. (My sores are usually signalled by little sores on the sides of my tongue.)

This last time that I had pain in my mouth, I never had any sores (as in the white blistery things) come up, but my mouth was tender for several days. The blisters are much worse for me than the tender mouth, so it's nice that they didn't happen this time.

Thanks for your response and the links.

Take care,
MP