#4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 07:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Meanwhile. Let's take a closer look at those two studies supporting Atkins. As a discerning consumer of health information, you need to adopt a slight (if not downright overt) scepticism for any new research. That's not to say that you should dismiss every piece of health news with a contemptuous sneer. What it means is that you need to ask yourself some important questions:

Is the information reliable? - who produced it and why?
Is it unbiased?
Is it relevant to me?

I'll refer back to this later...

Quote:
In one of the studies, during the first three months, those assigned to the Atkins diet lost an average of 6.8% of their body weight, compared with a 2.7% loss in the low-fat diet group. Similar results were seen after 6 months. But, and this is very important, after 12 months participants in both groups had regained a portion of the weight they had lost, and while the total amount of weight loss was marginally greater in the Atkins group, the difference was no longer statistically significant.

I am sick of hearing that "no longer statistically significant" crap...Granted, the pound difference was very little...But, because both groups lost so little, the percentage difference in weight was about 60% [if I remember correctly.] Hardly insignificant.

Quote:
In the other study, which lasted only 6 months, the average amount of weight loss was significantly greater in the low-carbohydrate group than in the low-fat group (12.8 vs. 4.2 pounds). In other words, Atkins may outperform in the very short-term, most probably due to depletion of body glucose stores, water and muscle protein, but it is not a diet to live on for the rest of your life - it has no long-term advantages over other weight loss programmes.

Let me give a personal comparison. I've done numerous Low-Fat/Low-Calorie diets over the years...Every time, I would lose for a short while (a few weeks/months) and then lose nothing for weeks or even months. Worse, I might even start gaining the weight back, despite not changing my Caloric or Fat intake. I have been on Atkins for over 9 months now. I have lost weight the whole time. My weight loss has not stopped [for more than a week] and sure as hell has not gone back up.

Quote:
But are these results reliable any way? Not entirely it would seem. Especially when you consider that they are weakened by the high dropout rate (over 40%) and by the fact that some participants adhered poorly to the dietary recommendations.

Yet, he uses this self-admitted unreliable data to conclude that Atkins is no more effective than a LF Diet ???

Quote:
And now there’s even more bad news for the Atkins aficionados. Despite the apparent, albeit small, benefits of a low-carbohydrate diet for people who have difficulty losing weight, it is not at all without risk. An earlier study has already highlighted the fact that long-term carbohydrate restriction can increase the risk of osteoporosis, with attendant risks of bone fractures, spinal collapse and nerve damage.

BULLSHIT !!! As long as they are getting enough Calcium, that should not be a problem.

Quote:
What-is-more, although in a few studies it has been shown to improve certain cardiac risk factors, a low-carbohydrate diet limits the intake of a wide range of plant-derived chemicals, such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and antioxidants, that may help prevent heart disease, cancer, and other disorders. Rather cancelling out any claimed benefits, wouldn't you say?

Again, he does not know what he's talking about... because Atkins focuses on the most antioxidant-rich carb sources such as berries, persons on Atkins Maintainance should be getting an excess of antioxidants, etc...

Most-Effective Fruit-Vegetable Sources of Antioxidants:

1) Blueberries*
2) Blackberries*
3) Tomatoes*
4) Prunes***
5) Oranges*
6) Red Grapes**
7) Cherries*
8) Kiwifruit**

Most Potent LDL-Reducing Fruits-Vegetables:

1) Blackberries*
2) Raspberries*
3) Sweet Cherries*
4) Blueberries*
5) Strawberries*

1/2 cup of Blueberries has 1,600 ORACs of Antioxidants, about the same as 5 servings/day of most other fruits and vegetables. To recap, 5 of the 8 most potent sources of Antioxidants are listed as "Eat Regularly" in
AFL...including the Top 3 most potent sources of Antioxidants: Blueberries, Blackberries, and Tomatoes. AFL lists all 5 of the Top 5 most potent LDL-Inhibitory/Reducing Fruits and Vegetables...as "Eat Regularly."

Quote:
What is far more important is that any changes in your eating habits for weight loss must be agreeable with long-term health, and that the loss in body weight and the subsequent maintenance at a healthier weight are sustainable for life. The growing evidence is that the Atkins diet is unable to support either of these aims.

That is an outright lie. Which would you rather be for the rest of your life: On a LF/HC diet and Hungry all the time or on a HF/LC diet and never hungry ??? I know my answer.

Quote:
Therefore, you need to ask yourself, in all honesty, which would I rather be? Crippled by the physical side-effects of the Atkins diet in five, ten, twenty years time, for the sake of a few more pounds weight loss in the short-term. Or slim, vibrant and physically fit in future life - the results you can expect from well-balanced and healthy lifestyle changes - the sort that don't restrict fruit and veg for instance.

I think the more appropriate question would be:

Therefore, you need to ask yourself, in all honesty, which would I rather be? A 400/500 pound Diabetic w. Hi-Blood Pressure and Hi-Cholesterol/Triglycerides, because I followed a "balanced" LF diet in five, ten, twenty years time, for the sake of eating "normal." Or slim, vibrant and physically fit in future life - the results you can expect from Atkins - the sort that don't restrict healthy fats and for instance.

Despite what he claims about LF Diets not restricting fruits...it's not true. Avocados are fruits...yet, they have 72% of your daily limit of Fat [on a LF Diet]...despite the fact it is healthy Monounsaturated Fat. Fresh Coconut fares even worse. One medium Coconut has 205% of your daily limit of Fat and 590% of your daily limit of Saturated Fat. That, in effect makes Coconut [a fruit] a forbidden fruit on a LF Diet. Even 1 cup of Coconut exceeds the daily limit of Saturated Fat on a LF Diet.