Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 185/170/175 Male 6 foot
BF:Who Knows/Cares
Progress: 150%
Question Meter Accuracy

Hi,

Here is a nice topic for discussion ;-)

Just curious to the various types of meters that everyone uses and their accuracy (in a comparison to a lab test). I currently have two meters; one touch ultra and a freestyle.

For my last lab tests (3 weeks ago), I brought the ultra with me. I found that the ultra (on THAT day) was 2 mg/dl less than my lab fasting BGL. Recently, I bought a freestyle meter and I generally like it more than the ultra, however, it reads 7-12 mg/dl LESS than the ultra. According to TheraSense (the manufacture of the freestyle), their meter's reading are correct and the ultra's are wrong (of course) because they analyze the entire droplet of blood.

Another thing that is puzzling me is that my last A1C was 5.5 (which equates to around a 115 average BGL). Now, I shouldn't complain or anything, but according to my ultra, my fasting BGL in the morning averages around 98 and my BGL 2 hours after eating averages around 104. I also test before I eat (lunch and dinner) and go to bed and my averages there are around 92. So, then what am I missing here - how could my A1C be 5.5 (non-diabetic range is defined as < 6.0) ? Am I spiking at night (while sleeping) ?

Thanks,

Adam
Sponsored Links