View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 344/302/240 Male 6' 5''
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question Please help! Feeling fatigued...

Hello everyone,

I've been lowcarbing since July 2002 and this is my second time on Atkins. I'm relatively happy with my results so far (42 lbs), but my recent ordeal with my health has really given me a scare as in Finland (where I'm from) there has been a lot of discussion about Atkins-related deaths.

My problems started, when I started refeeding to boost my leptin levels - I refed myself one weekend (planned refeeding ) consuming substantial amount of carbs. After refeeding, I returned to Atkins and to ketosis three days later with no problems feeling absolutely great.

Less than a week after that I started feeling dizzy and my heart was pounding like crazy. I went to work but had to come home after three hours as I felt totally beat and powerless. I started taking potassium and magnesium, thinking that I may be missing them but that didn't help.

I have been to see two doctors (and yes, told them about my Atkins diet).

The first one put me to an ECG test and basic inflammatory tests, but except to some blood cells in my urine (which was considered as an effect of a flu) everything came out clean. My heart was absolutely fine. I was prescribed antibiotics for suspected bronchitis - no help whatsoever.

The second doc put me to gastric (blood) tests (today, Monday), and I'm awaiting the results tomorrow.

My blood sugar levels are normal (my girlfriend is diabetic and we both measure blood sugar regularly), so these symptoms cannot be diabetes.

I still feel totally fatigued, dizzy, and my heart starts racing as soon as I eat anything - protein, fat, carbs, no matter what. The symptoms are worse at mornings and afternoons, but evenings and nights are easier.

Has anyone of you had the same kind of problems and if so, how were you able to beat the ordeal? Could this be allergy? Can a food allergy arise after a long LC diet, when one starts to eat carbs again?

Hope you can help me.

Your brother in LC,

Ike McM
Sponsored Links