#5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:17
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nitrovixen:

I was following the same program until I got my hormones tested. I'm supposed to be following the IS/HA program, but I haven't started yet b/c I'm doing some tweaking. In all honesty, it sounds like you don't have burned out adrenals based on what you've written, so you shouldn't be part of that population who gains weight.

It's funny, I always hear about fat making you full within 20 minutes of eating it, but I can tell you, some of my worst binges were on Atkins, bingeing on legal, high saturated fat foods and never feeling full until about 3,000 calories later. Everyone is so individual, it's hard to know the answers without experimenting a bit. But she does emphasize that it's a moderate fat diet and I like to concentrate more on getting my essential fats. That's just me.

Re: her cookbook - I thought she only counted "qualifying" carbs in her recipes. The ones I've made did that. I'll have to take a look see. Which recipes should I look at?

I never stopped counting nuts as carbs for the simple fact that I'm addicted to them and need some kind of limits on them. Sad but true.

Quote:
also, she says raw tomatoes are a nonstarchy vegetable and therefore a free food. Then she puts them in the fruit category at 15 carbs! Which is right? I eat quite a few cherry tomatoes throughout the day.

You know what? I never noticed that before. It must be a mistake b/c she specifically writes in her book that tomatoes (as long as they aren't cooked) are considered NS veggies. I'd write to them and ask, but I think I used up my "question quota" and I'm now on their blacklist. You might e-mail them and ask about this discrepancy.

If you are hungry between meals then don't cut down on your food. I was just thinking back to some of the mistakes I made and I was forcing food down my throat b/c I was so full from having 5 meals a day.

The biggest criticism of SP is that it requires so much faith. I deal with these same bouts of doubt as do many others. I don't think anyone denies that it's a healthy way of eating and maintaining weight. But losing weight AND being metabolically healthy can be a real struggle for many.

I hope you're able to make the program work for you. Keep us updated.

Wanda