View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 18:25

Plan: don't know yet
Stats: 208/195/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Miriam,

I did do some checking around the internet. Although I didn't find the exact study I had read about, I did find "quit smoking" sites that talked about similar studies. Here is basically what they all had to say:

You were right... one of the problems it had to do with was lower metabolism. They said avoid or drink half as much coffee, some sites say decaf. Exercise to raise your metabolism, no surprise there.

The other had to do with eating to fill the nicotine gap. Eat healthy snacks, use nicorette gum, etc.

They were basically talking a weight gain of 7-20 lbs over a five year period for the average person quitting smoking. If you are a long-term smoker, like me (30 years), chances are you can gain as much as 40 lbs. Also depends on how many cigs a day you smoke.

Right now, drinking coffee and smoking a lot, I have the metabolism of a slug... so I think I'm in trouble. I can't cut down on carbs or calories since I eat almost nothing as it is. So I guess major exercise and eating 3-6 meals or snacks of vegies is the only way to go for me.

Think you'll be ok though.... when I read over a period of five years... well that makes all the difference in the world.

Jean