View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 08:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not to add more fuel to your fire that something is definitely up, but have you read this thread?

The Soft Science of Dietary Fat

While I no longer believe that fat is bad for me I have also learned that carbs aren't either - it's a question of making good choices, unrefined carbs over processed ones. When I think back to how I used to eat I realize that it wasn't much different from how everyone else still does eat. I'm not sure of the facts, but would it be possible for the bulk of the population to eat like we do? Could we sustain that type of diet for years?

Here's a little snip from something I remember reading a few years ago off of LC Luxury, right when I began LCing. It's a little chilling:

Quote:
A saleswoman walks into an office building in Glenview, IL on a cool Wednesday morning in April for a meeting set up a few weeks before. She is not nervous, as this is the fourth such meeting she has had this week, and far from her last. Upon announcing who she is to the receptionist, she's told to go right in.

The man sitting behind the imposing oak desk rises, shakes the saleswoman's hand, and says, "It's good to see you, though frankly, I'm not sure what this could be about..."

"Well Sir," the woman replies, "It's about strategy; it's about chemistry; it's about success. You see, I think we can increase your sales 20% over the next year."

The man pauses for a long moment, peruses the stack of paperwork that's just been placed in front of him, and looks up blankly. "What exactly does sugar have to do with cheese?"

I'd imagine the saleswoman goes on to show him charts, graphs, and studies that show that eating even small amounts of foodstuffs imbued with refined sugars cause a "more, more, MORE" affect in most people. They feel comforted by the food 末 though they can't say just why 末 and their hunger for more increases as they eat it. She may go on to tell him of the reports by restaurant owners that show that main dishes and even salads that are made with the addition of sugar 末 even a sprinkling in the dressings, the meat marinades, the cheese sauces and the gravies 末 strongly increase the incidence of the patron ordering desserts (one of the highest profit margin foods for restaurants since refined carbs are cheap but they can charge a LOT for dessert items.)

Exactly what goes on behind the closed doors in the processed foods industries can only be speculated on, but the increasing incidence of formerly all protein/fat food items now containing one or more sugars is a testament to the validity of such speculation.

I purchased a "bar" of Velveeta cheese the other day ... I've been buying and eating it off and on for years. To my surprise, it now contains sugar in the ingredients list. Hmmmmmmm....

You know what? It tastes exactly the same. It melts exactly the same. It feels exactly the same. There is virtually no difference in the least, except that it now, for no damn good reason, contains an addictive anti-nutrient to increase sales.

Okay, I live in the real world and my rose colored glasses were tidily packed away in a time capsule years ago, so I have very few illusions left. This is, after all, KRAFT foods: now owned by Philip Morris 末 big tobacco 末 who knows very well about the profits to be made by steadily increasing the addictive properties of its products.

-Nat