View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 07:55

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thought I'd chime in again...

Not sure what Ellen's doc has told her, but I figured I'd share what went on w/me and my surgery. When I scheduled the procedure, the doctor told me flat out that they would try to do the laprascopic version, but if they were obscured by too thick of abdominal fat they would do the large incision. It was pretty scary to think of this b/c I was just about 300 lbs. at the time and really wouldn't know how things went until I woke up from it all.

Thankfully, things went well and I woke up w/4 small incisions (3 in the upper/side of my abdomen and 1 at the navel). I did have a bit of pain for a week or so b/c of the shifting of my muscles to do the surgery, but I was back at work and school the next Monday (had surgery the Tuesday before). I must mention that I was not working out or losing weight at the time, so that is definitely on your side, Ellen.

BTW- I can TOTALLY sympathize w/your situation. When I had my surgery a few years back, I was in my second-to-last semester in college, planning a wedding and trying to find a job for after graduation. Then... a few months later (in my last semester), my FIL-to-be had 2 massive strokes, my doctor thought I had cancer (lumps were found in my breast) and I was still planning the wedding and trying to find a job. I think I about lost my mind (or what little was left of it) at that point. You can do this! I have all the faith in the world that you can accomplish all that is in front of you.

Best,
Nikki