View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

My dad didn't really have a weight problem. He has a beer gut from drinking though. He ate when he felt like it, and when he did he usually would have 1 huge meal and nothing else throughout the day.

My mom on the other hand has a body type very similar to mine. We are the same height, start to have problems losing at the same time (200 #s), and store fat the same way. She has very bad eating habits, total sugar junkie. When she was young she ate in secret and would hide candy bars in her room. Currently she weighs 200 pounds but in the past has been as big as 250. When we were young she made us kids clean our plates . Out of 4 kids 3 have what could be called unstable/abnormal weight but I am the only one with the real weight problem.

I think the development of an eating problem usually has less to do with the environment you were raised in, and more with genetic predisposition to engage in certain behaviors. Like, a certain mindset would be inclined to find enjoyment or comfort in overeating. That said, my mother and I think remarkably similarly. We are both prone to depression, and compulsive overeaters because of it.

Also, no doubt your body type plays an important role. Some people have more trouble with refined carbs and have a slower metabolism. My sister is 5'7 and 140 pounds, all she eats is sugar (very little fat and protein) and never gets hypoglycemic (shaking, ravenous hunger and all) or anything like that. Whereas, before i started this WoL I ate far less candy and refined carbos than she does, but I had a huge problem with maintaining stable blood sugar and weight (partially because of the previous problem, i overate a lot). I attribute that difference to genetics.

So anyway, I think the genes (or prenatal environment) that helps determine predisposition to behavior/feelings and body type are far more important in indicating if one will have a weight problem than environment. Not that environment is unimportant, I just feel it plays a smaller role: if you took a child and put them in an adoptive home, you'll probably find their body type and behavior towards food more similar to blood relatives than their adoptive parents.