View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 20:28

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
A woman I worked with introduced me to Atkins. She said it was the greatest diet ever. I was skeptical and just listened to her rave. Well, one week later, she came in the office complaining about foods she wasn't allowed to have. She'd come by my desk complaining about this food and that one and off to get coffee with the guys and all the while, you could hear her complaining down the hall to the bakery. I don't think she ever really did it bc she NEVER lost any weight. By the time I changed jobs, she had gained an additional 20lbs.

I sat at my desk wondering about that maybe I should try it because my size 12 jeans were so tight, I wore large sweaters to cover my poochy belly. She told me which foods to eat and which not to eat. I started that evening before my evening class and within a week my jeans became loose. I went out and bought the book and read and read and read. A month later I was a size 9 and she started complaining about how dangerous this WOE was and that I could seriously damage my kidneys. I told her to read the book. She said she had and that it was still dangerous. Well, another month passed and I was down to a 7/8. She hit the roof when I walked in the office in a mini skirt (which sat in my drawer for 2 years bc I couldn't fit it).

She would find ways to smirk at me and tell me I was putting my life and body in peril. I went for a check up at the VA clinic and the nutritionist started on me about damaging my body and metabolism. The guy I was dating told me I was beautiful and my body was beautiful, but he kept offering me things I didn't want to eat. My lab work came back with 100% improvements. The nutritionist kept up with her rantings.

The co-worker's DH called the office looking for her and before I could take his message he stated "you know she's very jealous of you because she didn't stick with it" I listened but didn't say anything to him or her.

After months of listening to the nutritionist and my ex-bf, I slowly went off of it. The weight didn't come back too fast, but it came back. I was so depressed because the bf kept finding fault with me and finally broke up with me (good riddance).

I came back July 2003 and will NEVER listen to naysayers again. I don't want to place the blame totally on them though, bc I didn't fully grasp the concept of permanent weight loss....after a couple years of feeling ashamed of my body and a size 14, I am proud to say I am back in a size 12 and once I'm back down to 7/8, believe you me...I'm stayin'!