View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Interesting question and I can't wait to read everyone else's posts regarding this.
I'll start off with giving a little background info before I begin, or "my story." When I answer the question, realize that this answer will be part what I thought then and what it means to me now in hindsight, so my perspective then wasn't as clear as it is today.
I was working one day when a fellow co-worker/friend asked me to start a diet with her. I agreed. We even bought matching lunchboxes for our new healthy low-fat journey. We failed, and actually I think it was less than a week. Anyhow, one day she brought this book to me (DANDR) and she was SO excited ..saying she truly thinks she has the answer for us! I was at the very least skeptical and not only that, I wasn't in the mood to try another diet yet. She finally convinced me and we took turns babysitting "the book", made copies and such. We finally started. I think here's part of your answer here. I read about 2 chapters and then got my induction list copied. I never bothered to read anything else, didn't take supplements, and never ate anything from that time on while losing that wasn't an induction food except nuts.
I was doomed right from the get go in hindsight because I didn't even bother to find out why it works, how my body works, or anything regarding the other parts of the plan. I just figured once I got done losing, I'd eat "in moderation" again, my favorite high carb foods.

Okay, back to my story. I lost, oh boy did I lose. Weight just seemed to melt away, I lost my cravings and I had ENERGY! It was honestly the first time I'd lost more than 10lbs on any diet. I lost to almost my goal, which was about 70lbs at the time.

I passed cheats off totally. I was very proud. All new clothes. I passed many occasions up and ate only what I was allowed on induction. Till Thanksgiving that year. So here's another part of your question. I decided, look at me, I have been SO dedicated. I deserve to "cheat" this one day. One day turned into about a week. Then another. I got back on induction again, but it was never the same. I just couldn't seem to break the addiction again. I couldn't get past my carb cravings no matter how hard I tried. I barely hung on till Christmas, then another blowout. I am not sure how long it took me to get back on it, but it was still winter. I clawed my way through yet another induction and lasted till Spring. I was trying to lose the pounds I'd regained. I just couldn't do it anymore. I simply gave up. I would off and on say ...okay tomorrow, I'm going to start again. Tomorrow turned into the next day and next week and next month........

I regained it all back plus 20lbs. That was 3 years ago.

Now a little more of how and why I let myself do it. As I stated, first off, I wasn't doin Atkins, I was doing a list of induction foods period. I didn't know anything about my body or why this diet was working. I just knew it did. Also, I had no plan of action. I didn't read the rest of the book, didn't even know what a critical carb limit was. Nada. It was like playing a game of football and I had only a plan of offense, no defense.

Secondly. This is where hindsight comes into play. I now know I am a type C responder per DANDR. I am a carb addict. I don't get to have pie and dressing on Thanksgiving. I do not have the ability to have a little and get back on program. My body's reaction to carbs is paralizing and overwhelming. I will always have a list of foods in my life that are a threat to my body that I have to accept. I didn't know it then.
Thirdly, I never approached this diet as a lifetime change. Of course I didn't, I didn't know anything about my body. I wanted to lose weight and didn't think about anything past that obstacle.

Well, so for now, that's what comes to mind. I am sure that's more than enough, sorry for the book