View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Hmmm, is that perfectionism I smell? I have a dear friend who keeps falling off Atkins because she finds strict/extended induction so daunting (gaining weight each time she does so), and your story reminded me of her. I'll tell you what I've tried to tell my friend: RELAX, nobody is going to beat you up if you don't stay on 100% perfect induction for the next six months! It sounds to me like you've got this whole Induction Monster built up in your head, and that you can't live a good, wholesome, LC lifestyle unless you are eating absolutely strict and clean. Some people do well with that kind of discipline, it's true, but in your case it sounds like a recipe for failure.

Instead of trying to keep to a clean induction, why not try to keep to a clean Atkins maintenance for a couple weeks? Get rid of all the carbage and Frankenfoods, but keep the unprocessed higher-carb stuff you can eat on maintenance, like starchy veggies such as peas and corn, yogurt, whole wheat bread, low- and medium-GI fruits like apples and grapes, and natural peanut butter. Make your own sugar-free desserts but keep it to one serving a day, and eat as many green vegetables as you can stand. Shoot to keep your carbs in the 60-75 range for a while. You probably won't lose weight, but if you're sticking to a good maintenance regime, you shouldn't gain either. Once your life has straightened out, then try lowering your intake gradually until you get back down to 30-35 carbs. Stay there a while, maybe even permanently -- I'd think hard about going back to an extended Induction. I just don't think it's all that beneficial for most people, in terms of speed of loss, and the psychological restriction can be killer. Better to lose weight slowly but steadily than lose it fast for a while and then go haywire, right?