View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:59
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Disturbed TOM? You bet. I've had all manner of things, from constant weeks-long spotting to extra heavy periods which rendered me totally non-functional due to flooding and ungodly cramps. Pre-LC, I always had a relatively regular period, although the cramping was a problem (but nothing like some of the cramping on Atkins, I must admit...I got off easy before).

I have always had a bit of midcycle spotting, but it became much more intense after I started LC (March 2003). In June I had an anovulatory cycle, which basically created a mess of nearly month-long heavy spotting. I had not had anything like that since I was 19. (I'm 38 now.)

When I described this to my mom, she decided I was starting menopause. But I had this nagging suspicion that my so-called "menopause" was coinciding with the onset of the low carb diet. I did a lot of Google searching which didn't yield very much. Then I came on this forum, searched some relevant terms, and suddenly found a lot of good information, including a fair number of women with stories similar to mine.

There are tons of threads about menstrual problems on the forum. Search these terms: TOM, spotting, period, menstrual cycle. Disturbed periods are so common that I wonder why the major LC authors don't seem to mention them.

Emily