#4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:07
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Unhappy Lettuce and Gallstones?

I, too, have never heard of staying away from lettuce before having your gallbladder removed. My girlfriend ended up needing emergency surgery because she was so freaked out about needing one at all, so I’m glad you’re taking care of this before things get out of control. (She’s fine, BTW, and happy that the pesky thing is gone!)

As you know, bile isn’t produced in the gallbladder, it‘s just a ‘holding tank’. When we eat a fatty meal, bile is pumped into the small intestines so it can break down fat. But when you have gallstones, they can lodge in the duct and cause a lot of pain. So most providers suggest eating a low fat diet … less fat = less bile = less pain and inflammation.

Swiss Gastrointestinal Center has an excellent article on Gallbladder disease …

Probably your MD had a reason for telling you to avoid lettuce, but maybe you could ask him to clarify? Does he know that you're eating low carb? I searched the internet, and the only links I could find led to Asian herbals that suggest lettuce can strengthen the liver - along with about 100 other veggies and herbs.

Take care! I know how painful this disease can be … Even if they ask you to do low fat for a while, you can always go back to LC again after you heal from the surgery.