Thread: Teenager info
View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Oh Angie! I am soooooo thankful you ran this thread. What an awesome idea!

My daughter is 14 and started Atkins with me in April. She is still very, very serious about it. The one thing I do, is, like you, do Atkins with her. She was beautiful on the inside and out to begin with, and is even more now that she has dropped 16 pounds. She didn't really need to lose, and I was very careful to not focus on weight as an issue. Yet I knew she would feel better being more healthy and thinner. She does not want to be on of those skinny minnies in high school that starve themselves because she is starved for affection.

Working in YoungLife with teens, I have seen the other side of the issue when the bathroom smells like vomit and their cheeks are hollow. We will not allow our daughter to get to that point in her self confidence. Like yours, the weight she has dropped has changed her mood. I noticed it when you wrote it. My goodness, I never thought of it except that the last week or two, I have thought, "Wow. She is PLEASANT to be around!" How we love our daughters, eh?

The other thing is someone mentioned why docs don't educate us parents on sugar. Well, they do. But I will be gut honest here. Until Atkins, I was one of those moms who cooked/baked/ate with sugar. I thoguth "those lunies, what are they doing getting down on sugar for? They are going overboard. The health nuts!" And now, I see they are right! Maybe I'm the only one that used to view non-sugar permitting moms in this way. I know it's rude, but I did. It probably doesn't help knowing that in the sixtie's, we were raised on evaporated milk with karo syrup in our bottles. A taste for sweets from the get-go!

Just wanted to share my thoughts and commend you for your efforts. Also the other replies are so awesome. There are so many kind people here and I wish you ALL a successful LC journey!
Hugs, Annie-Pie