View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

Congrats on your upcoming arrival! It is a very exciting time! Infants need lots of fat. I am a big advocate of breast feeding (nursed my ds for 1 year), but at 6 months they do need iron outside of breast milk. Babies are born with iron stores that are depleted by 6 months. Even breast feeding experts will tell you to introduce food by 6 months of age. Formula provides iron, but can't begin to match the antibodies and host of other unbelievable nutrients. At 6 months, stick to the whole food baby foods (start with veggies, fruits, then meat). Don't buy any dinners or "desserts". The other foods should just be whole foods with some water or absorbic acid. Baby food has come a long way. Fruit may not be good for Atkins dieters but it is for babies. Their digestive systems are nowhere near being complete and they need to eat low fiber/high GI foods especially in the beginning. My ds didn't eat baby food for too long. By 9 months he loved finger foods. When giving him grains we only use whole grains (wheat, rye, whole wheat pasta)...watch if they have intestinal woes. Canned veggies (no salt added) are REALLY good for finger foods, b/c they are cooked soft enough for young babies. He also loves all meat, probably because we eat a lot of it. Don't limit your babies fruit. They can and should eat our no, nos...watermelon, bananas, etc. Just don't introduce white bread, rice, pasta, or any type of processed sugar. Our ds has never had juice. He LOVES water and drinks milk at meals.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!

Take care,
Elle