View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 11:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Look at the gerber first foods. The lable will say "Green beans, water" Almost all the fruits will have absorbic acid added for a preservative and vitamin C. For protien they do have meats, what we found works great though is combanations like carrots and beef, pears and chicken, apples and chicken, ect. They have only the meat, fruit or veggie and water.

Beware anything that is labled "dinner" or "dessert" instead stick to whole simple foods. You can also make your own at home easily enough. Get empty baby food jars to store it in.

When your baby is little it will get all the fat and nutricion it needs from breast milk or formula. You can add egg yolks or avacados when the kiddo reaches solids, but most of the fat will still come from milk/formula. Don't put a small child on a low-fat diet, even if they are a bit chubby. They need the fat for brain growth.

Keeping junk foods and sweets away froma baby is good, but there is no reson to put them anywhere near as strict as most Atkins levels. They would be able to tolerate maintanance levels or higher since metabo is so high and uncorrupted Just try to install healthy eating habits. Formula and breast milk contain protien. Start the baby on veggies so they learn to like them, then move on to fruit. Fruit is sweet enough your child will be happy to have it and not need cookies or other treats. My daughters favorite meal is still green beans, she just puts up with the fruit.

There is no way I could of waited until a year old to start either of my kids on solids. My daughter is still hungry after an 8 oz bottle and can polish off a size 2 jar of baby food easily 3 times a day. My son has always been a big eater and at a year old he would eat his food and start in on ours. I think that's why I did great losing weight when he was 2, Ionly got to eat half of my meals. Neither of my children are overweight, they are both perfect weight for thier height. WIC tried to tell me my daughter was a tad underweight, but I belive the pediatrican more then them and she doesn't look under at all.