View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 18:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Unprocessed protein sources (not stuff like lunchmeats, etc...) have no carbs or sugars, either and do have the essential fats that your body needs. It's really not fat that's our enemy here, it's the sugar and high glycemic carbs. I honestly don't pay that much attention to how much fat I eat on a daily basis and have managed to lose quite a bit of weight so far. Quite honestly, I think you'll be far more satisfied getting your protein in its original form and that it will fill you up better and keep you satisfied longer because of the natural fats that it contains than if you continue to drink protein shakes.
Protein shakes are good if you are working out and actively trying to build muscle and when you can't chew well (like after a dental procedure), but otherwise I honestly feel it's better to eat the meat.
You've mentioned that you are new to all this, so my first advice is to get some good books (like the Dr. Bernstein's book) and do some internet research. Learn all you can! Knowing as much as you can about what you have and how best to treat it is your first defense here since (unfortunately) a lot of doctors are likely to hand you a diet sheet and tell you to come back in six months. They might also send you to a dietician who will advise you to eat high carb/low fat and follow up with your doctor. The more you learn, the more successful you will be at controlling this.
If you're interested in Dr. Bernstein's plan or book, you can download and read entire chapters of it from his website at www.diabetes-normalsugars.com