#4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:07

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Maybe they're worried..

Hi el corazón,

A mother talking here. Checked your profile and saw that you are 5'6". 116 lbs is low for your height. You are actually underweight now. (For your height the recommended weight range is 118 - 156.) Maybe your family is concerned that you are losing too much. You have to make sure that you are not losing muscle or even worse, bone mass, in your effort to be slim.

Dr. Atkins says that once on maintenance, foods that we avoid while losing can be enjoyed in moderation. I think one example was a baked potato once a week. To make your relatives happy, have one slice of toast with eggs in the morning, or even half a muffin. Eats lots of salad at lunch and dinner but take a small portion of the carb of the moment and have a bite or two. You may be surprised when you don't gain anything. Happened to my DH when he hit goal. He now has one or two pieces of bread before dinner when we eat out and has even shared deserts (up to half!) without gaining and without having the cravings return. He is eating fruits now and not counting carbs, just avoiding bread (except out), cereal, potatos, pasta......

As a mother with a teenage daughter who doesn't get enough calcium or vitamins (just from not eating much - she never has been interested in food since she was little), I can guess where your family is coming from. They see you at a point where you have lost all the weight they think you need to. They may be concerned that you are not satisfied and may be creating long term health problems unintentionally. Even if they are driving you nuts, it's probably because they love you.

Go with Grandma and visit your relative and enjoy your visit. The food is secondary to the visit. Don't miss an opportunity to be with family. They don't come around that often.
Barb