View Single Post
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 13:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/159/130 Female 5'5
BF:too high!
Progress: 9%

Angela,

I don't know about Canada, but down here (Texas) we have a huge health food chain called "Whole Foods" where you can find all kinds of specialized nutritional products, organic foods, etc. It's great! They have stevia in several forms...bulk powders, prepackaged powder, tablets, liquids, etc. Granted, it's not useful for baking, but I use it to sweeten pretty much everything else...coffee (when I used to drink it), tea, Kool-Aid, protein shakes, etc. Some people say it has a little aftertaste, but I don't think it's any worse than any other artificial sweetener.

Even if you don't have a major health food chain, most of the little independant health food stores carry it too. Personally, I prefer the liquid just because I think it's easier to use, but if you buy the powder version, get the white and stay away from the green. Stevia is actually an herb, and the green is the closest to raw form, but tends to be a little bitter. The white is more refined and much smoother. Measurement-wise, stevia is pretty comparable to sacharin (Sweet-n-Low)... a little pinch will do ya!

Joan