View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 02:50

Plan: LeanGains
Stats: 226/192/180 Female 68 inches
BF:??/??/??
Progress: 74%

For a while now I've been considering bringing along my own cream, as well. I would recommend using the ultra-pasteurized stuff, but make sure it's just cream -- I've stumbled across some that contains carageenan, which leaves this disturbing (yes, disturbing) scum on top of the coffee as it cools.

If you're looking to make your own at home and space is an issue, you might try a french press for making coffee. Since I am the only person in my house who drinks coffee, most of the time, I find that this is as nice or nicer than a large coffee maker or cumbersome espresso machine (both of which I've had in my house -- sold the espresso machine last year in a garage sale). Takes a bit of eyeballing and guesswork to get the proportions to taste, but it makes a really great cup of coffee. Also, I discovered recently that I have been inadvertently making a trendy-yet-still-underground form of poor man's espresso by letting the stuff steep too long. Not kidding -- there is a (not really) snobby little coffee shop on Clark? Broadway? in Chicago that pushes this stuff!

I'm getting great results with this and Chock Full-o-Nuts French Roast (usually decaf); the latter based on a recommendation from Cook's Illustrated, my bible in all things taste-test-related.

Hope this helps.... Erin