View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 338/334/175 Female 5' 9.5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I tried to make mock mashed potatoes tonight and they were awful. I cooked about two cups of cauliflower in a couple of TBS of water in a covered casserole on high in the microwave for 10 minutes. It was still kind of firm when I mashed it with a fork, so I gave it another five, then another two, and they still weren't mushy but there were some dark brown areas that seemed burned in some of it so I didn't want to cook it any more.

It was very dry so I didn't drain it; I put it in a food processor with two ounces of cream cheese and two slices of American cheese, and a little splash of heavy cream. There wasn't enough in the processor bowl, so after a few revolutions the blades were just whirring around and the cauliflower mixture was all against the sides of the bowl. I didn't want to haul out the mixer at this point and the rest of my dinner was ready to eat and getting cold.

The mixture was way too rich, and had a "ricey" texture. Maybe I could use the cauliflower cooked that way just plain and mashed up with a fork to mimic rice. But this first attempt at "mashed potatoes" was a disaster. I'm so disappointed, too -- I was really hoping, from what everybody said, that even if the flavor was a bit different, at least the texture would be smooth like mashed potatoes.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it just that that's how cauliflower comes out when it's cooked?

Gina