View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 14:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/144/115 Female 61 inches
BF:33%/?/20%
Progress: 26%

Dear Agnes:

I also take AD drugs (zoloft). I was very gung-ho into induction, but decided this was the one "Rule" I was going to break. What use is it to be slim but depressed and miserable? To me, it was not worth the mental pain. The reason Atkins recommends discontinuing AD drugs is not because the pills themselves contain carbs but because the brain physiology is altered by the drugs, and this potentially causes the body to retain fat or water or God-knows-what, or slows the metabolism. I don't think anyone is certain of the precise mechanism.

Anyway, I was able to lose my prescribed 10% of weight during induction, and am on schedule for the remaining weight loss (1-2 lb/wk) but it has not been a straight progression. I stalled out at 148 for the longest, then had a "whoosh" and went down to 144 in a matter of 2 days, and now the scale hasn't moved again. But it's much easier to enjoy these small successes with a healthy state of emotionality than it would be to enjoy any amount of weight loss while depressed.

Keep the faith and you will amaze yourself!