Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 06:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild
No permanant damage is being done!
Your body has a way of telling you when you are full, and if you tune into that you will no doubt consume as many calories as you need no matter what the math says.
This is very misleading, fairchild. LCing robs most of their appetite, they do not really know if they are hungry.

Going for long periods of time w/o eating is definitely going to slow metabolism. Eating below RMR is definitely going to slow metabolism. Doing these things over extended periods of time will permanently slow metabolism.

How long is too long? It's an individual thing - if you've done this type of thing in the past your window of opportunity is going to be a lot smaller. If you're older it's going to be smaller. If you've got a lot more fat to lose then it's going to be smaller.

Quote:
I ate 900 calories a day for months and ran 50 min 5 times a week and dropped weight faster than I have doing atkins.
I bet you did. I will also bet that you didn't just lose fat.

The goal of LC is not to lose the 'weight' the fastest, IMHO. It is to learn how to eat so that the fat lost is permanent. You have to make a behavioural change if you want to affect a permanent change. Losing the fat isn't the hard part here, keeping it off is.

-Nat