View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Junk food is never a good thing. But what is a kid wants pasta or potatoes? Just because you have changed your lifestyle doesnt mean everyone else should have to

First of all, my kids don't dictate to me what I do and don't cook for dinner; they never have and they never will. They may make requests, but more often than not, they are more than happy with what is on the table to eat. When they are old enough to cook, they'll have their chance at making dinner at least once a week and they are more than welcome to make whatever they wish, BUT they have to plan it, tell me what ingredients to get if I don't already have them and cook it themselves. If it's not something that I want to or can eat, then I can have leftovers. If my DH wants potatoes or pasta, he's free to cook them for himself. He's quite capable in the kitchen and hasn't done that yet. There's a sign hanging in my kitchen that is more or less my policy. It says, "You have two choices for dinner: take it or leave it." If you don't like what's on the table, there's always whole wheat bread and sugar-free peanut butter in the pantry and fruit in the kitchen (or yogurt, cheese, etc...). Even 7 and 8 year olds are capable of making themselves a sandwich or getting yogurt from the refrigerator, but you know something...neither of them has used that option yet even though they know it's available to them. Short order cook is not part of my job description as a mom. Now, I don't go out of my way to make things that I know that they don't like, so that probably has a lot to do with it.
I plan and cook the meals in my home and also do all the shopping. I ask for input on what everyone would like to see on the menu for the next couple of weeks and accomodate requests (not demands) when I can. What if they ask for pasta or potatos? They haven't yet and I've been low carbing for over 2 years. More likely than not I'll get requests for Captain Crunch cereal (mostly sugar and very little nutrition), Pop Tarts (ditto), Pizza or Ice cream. Occasionally, I'll get a frozen pizza or sugar-free ice cream (they honestly like it), but Captain Crunch and Pop Tarts get a firm "No".
When it comes to what my kids eat, the question is who is the parent (and therefore responsible for the health and wellbeing of the child) and who is the child? They get plenty of nutritious foods and occasionally get treats without my having to put foods on the dinner table that I choose not to eat. Nobody is being deprived. They're healthy and I'm happy.
If you're a mom and you want to cook something different for every member of your family, that's your perogative. I don't choose to.