View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 22:14
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%

Although it's certainly possible that the sugar alcohols are to blame, it's probably too soon to tell. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's just a natural fluctuation in your weight loss. Many people here experience "stalls and whooshes" as a matter of routine, and can't attribute them to anything in particular. Also, losses in the first week or two are more dramatic for many people, because we lose a lot of water.

I lost 8 pounds my first week on Atkins, and in the second week- nothing! I thought it might be lo carb bars, so I cut them out, along with Splenda and anything the least suspicious. I still lost nothing for the next three weeks! I thought it might be too many calories until I found out from fitday.com I was only eating about 1500 cals a day. So I tried INCREASING my calories for a week or two thinking I might be in "starvation mode". Still nothing. Then a few days into TOM I lost 5 pounds in two days!

I've since started having an lc bar again here and there just to see what would happen. I've continued to lose so I really don't think the bars have any effect, though there are plenty of other reasons to avoid them. I often feel weird if I eat a whole one, but it's not like a sugar rush, its something else, hard to explain.

You're probably right to cut them out for a while just to be on the safe side, but if you like them, after you lose a little more, and are completely adjusted to how you feel in ketosis, you might want to try again and just see. Not that's it's that big of a sacrifice; they're pricey and don't taste all that good.

Dorothy