View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 10:38

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a couple of tricks related to eating 'lower carb'. I try to eat carbs as low as possible on the Glycemic Index, and get as much fiber as possible in the process. Adding fiber (I add various types of bran & flaxmeal) will lower the glycemic index of many foods, so I can 'tweak' recipes to make 'em mo' bettah for me. For instance, I use 1/4cup Quick oats mixed w/2 T of oat bran & wheat bran, + sliced almonds & fresh fruit, cover with boiling water, stir, cover and let sit for 3 minutes. I add flaxmeal at the last instant for my daily breakfast. Carbs, yes, but low glycemic carbs, and loaded with fat & protein and a whole lot of fiber.

I don't eat rice per se, but I mix up a pilaf of Converted Rice, Buckwheat, Barley (Converted Long Grain Rice is quicker cooking than brown rice, yet low glycemic, and the 'converting' process adds most of the original nutrition back into the grain as the bran is removed). I boil/simmer this then add lots of sliced almonds, sesame seed & sunflower seeds, stir to blend. This pilaf is tasty & has a much lower Glycemic Index rating than white rice, & has about 8 times as much fiber as white rice. A serving of this alongside your fish/chicken curry or Dal is very satisfying.
That brings up another point. I try to eat any of these low Glycemic Index carbs WITH some protein &/or fat, this affects your digestion & insulin production. Even if you're eating more carbs than a real 'low carb' diet, don't eat the carbs 'alone'. That eliminates a lot of the 'craving' variety carbs in the first place, and preventing insulin spikes is important. If you're going to try 'lower carb' and you have insulin resistance (got belly fat? then you've got insulin resistance), it's worth a lot of effort to avoid insulin spikes, this mis-application of carbs to belly fat is what caused most of my problems in the first place.
Bread? I only eat bread w/2 or more grams of fiber per slice (adios baguettes) I often eat whole wheat Pita bread with whatever I'm grilling. I rub the Pita with a cut clove of garlic, grill it, cut it into wedges then dip the pieces in olive oil, tapenade or hummus. Low Glycemic carbs, plus fiber, fat & protein...and a lot of flavor. Pretty satisfying.
FWIW, I find that a lot of Mediterannean & Asian recipes fit into my personal guidelines, esp. if I tweak the ingredients using the Glycemic Index & adding olive oil + fiber as necessary. I eat a lot of pilaf, dal & curry, whole wheat pasta w/clams & fish, lots of grilled meats, grilled & marinated veggies, salads. Lots of Provencal, Indian & Italian recipes. Lots of fish, chicken, lean pork & beef, lots of barley, oats, lentils, dry peas & beans. I'm losing a pound or 2 per week ~ 1700-1900 or so calories per day, feel pretty good. I didn't pay much attention to my diet for ~ 3 years after I quit smoking/got divorced/working 70 hour weeks and I went from being a 'big, strong man' to 'fat' in shorter time than I'd have thought possible. Back to lifting weights, and already back to feeling strong...I've still got some belly fat. But not for long.